Personal information is information or an opinion, in any form and whether true or not, about an individual whose identity is apparent or can reasonably be ascertained from the information or opinion. It includes your name, age, gender and contact details.
Special provisions apply to the collection of personal information that is also sensitive information. Sensitive information includes information about a person's race, ethnic origin, political opinions, health, religious or philosophical beliefs and criminal history.
Collection of personal information by NAILSMA
NAILSMA will only collect personal (including sensitive) information about you by lawful and fair means and not in an unreasonably intrusive manner. The types of information we may collect include:
- identifying and contact information (for example, name, address and email address);
- financial information (for example, credit card details if you make a donation to us);
- sensitive information about your racial or ethnic origin (such as whether you are Indigenous or a Traditional Owner);
- your image and/or audio recording to include in publications by NAILSMA;
- if you use our website, information about your activities on our website (for example, tracking which areas of the website you visit and the content you view) and any NAILSMA publications you wish to subscribe to; and
- your feedback in relation to any NAILSMA forums that you may attend.
We collect personal (including sensitive) information to provide you with services and publications you request, as well as information on other services and publications offered by us and to receive donations. We may also be required by law to collect some personal (including sensitive) information.
If you do not provide personal (including sensitive) information requested of you to NAILSMA, we may be unable to provide you the services or publications you have requested or contact you in the future.
Use and disclosure of personal information by NAILSMA
NAILSMA will only use or disclose your personal (including sensitive) information as permitted under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Privacy Act).
We will use your personal (including sensitive) information to:
- collect donations from you;
- create reports and publications (including in written, audio and audio-visual form) for distribution to our funding organisations and agencies and the general public;
- if requested by you, provide you with copies of our reports and publications;
- co-ordinate and provide you with seminars and forums including analysing statistics and demographics of attendees;
- manage our ongoing relationship with you;
- maintain, administer and improve our systems including our website; and
- perform any of our other functions and activities.
From time to time, we may also use your personal (including sensitive) information to contact you (including by telephone call, text message or email) to request donations and to provide you with information about products and services we think may be of interest to you such as upcoming forums or seminars. This may include our own products and services or the products and services of others. If you do not want to be contacted for these purposes you can withdraw your consent by contacting us using the email address and/or telephone number below.
In order to properly conduct our activities, we may disclose your personal (including sensitive) information to other persons or organisations. Such persons and organisation include:
- our service providers (such as IT service providers);
- our professional advisors;
- financial institutions (in order to facilitate the payment of donations); and
- other parties to whom we are authorised or required by law to disclose information.
We may also disclose de-identified, aggregated data about seminar/forum attendees to our funding organisations and agencies if they have sponsored that seminar/forum.
Data quality and security
To the extent required by the Privacy Act, NAILSMA will take reasonable steps to:
- make sure that the personal (including sensitive) information we collect, use and disclose is accurate, complete and up to date;
- protect the personal (including sensitive) information that we hold from misuse and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure; and
- where permitted by law, destroy and permanently de-identify personal (including sensitive) information that is no longer needed for any purpose that is permitted by the Privacy Act.
Use of Commonwealth government identifiers
NAILSMA will not use Commonwealth government identifiers as its own identifier of individuals. We will only use and disclose such identifiers in the circumstances permitted by the Privacy Act.
NAILSMA will generally provide individuals with the option of not identifying themselves when entering into transactions when it is lawful and practicable to do so. However, on many occasions, we will not be able to do this. For example, we will need your email address in order to deliver any electronic publications.
Transfer of personal information overseas
If NAILSMA transfers your personal information outside Australia, we will comply with the requirements of the Privacy Act that relate to trans-border data flows.
Access to and correction of your personal information
Please contact NAILSMA if you would like to seek access to or correct the personal (including sensitive) information we hold about you. When you make a request to access or correct personal (including sensitive) information, we will require you to provide some form of identification so we can verify that you are the person to whom the information relates.
NAILSMA will generally provide you with access to your personal (including sensitive) information if practicable (although a fee may be imposed) and will take reasonable steps to amend any personal (including sensitive) information about you which is inaccurate or out of date. Our file of your information will usually be made available to you within 14 days. In some circumstances, NAILSMA may not permit access to your personal (including sensitive) information, or may refuse to correct your personal (including sensitive) information, in which case we will provide you reasons for this decision.
Further information, complaints and requests for access or correction
- have any queries about how NAILSMA handles your personal (including sensitive) information;
- would like to access or correct the personal (including sensitive) information we hold about you; or
- have any concerns or complaints about the manner in which your personal (including sensitive) information has been collected or handled by us,
please contact us by:
- email at firstname.lastname@example.org or
- telephone on 0488 068 738
Further information about the application of the Privacy Act can be found at the website of the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner at www.oaic.gov.au.