NAILSMA participates in the inaugural World Indigenous Network (WIN) Conference 2013
The inaugural World Indigenous Network conference was held in Darwin in May 2013. Over 1,200 delegates representing first nation peoples from 50 countries came together to share traditional knowledge and experience in land and marine conservation. There were over 70 concurrent workshops, conference sessions and keynote presentations bringing together valuable lessons learned from Australia, Canada, Nepal, the Amazon, Sweden, Ecuador, the Philippines, New Zealand, Timor, and Hawaii among others.
Joe Morrison leads a panel discussion on fire management at the WIN conference
NAILSMA had a strong presence at the conference with a display area
set up for publications and brochures. NAILSMA staff manned the booth
over the three days and answered many enquiries from conference
delegates around the world. A number of staff staff members presented
papers and took part in workshops. NAILSMA Chair, Peter Yu delivered a
keynote address and Joe Morrison, CEO was on a speaker’s panel about
Traditional Fire Management.
Below is a summary of the presentations with links to the Conference website where you can view / listen to the presentations.
- NAILSMA Chair, Peter Yu delivered a keynote address Scoping the New Paradigm for Northern Australian Development View video
- NAILSMA CEO, Joe Morrison took part in a panel presentation Traditional Fire Management: The panel consisted of Mr Dean Yibarbuk, Mr Joe Morrison, Ms Margaret Jacobsohn, Mr Sam Johnson, Mr Robin Beatty. View the presentation on the WIN website
- Buffalo management plan: forming collaborative partnerships to protect natural and cultural values with the Laynhapuy IPA. Presented by the Yirralka Rangers, Parks and Wildlife NT and NAILSMA I-Tracker project officer. View the presentation on the WIN website
- Knowledge sharing partnerships to explore and protect freshwater places. Presented by Mr Yoshie Akune, Mr Ninjana Walsham and NAILSMA I-Tracker staff. View the presentation on the WIN website
- New tools to support Indigenous land management – The NAILSMA I-Tracker Land Patrol Application. Presented by a panel of Indigenous Land and Sea Managers and NAILSMA I-Tracker staff View the presentation on the WIN website
- Manage locally – Protect globally. Shorebird Monitoring in Indigenous Communities. Presented by Dr Golo Maurer, Ms Bronwyn Hall and NAILSMA I-Tracker project officer. View the presentation on the WIN website
- NAILSMA I-Tracker project manager, Rod Kennett took part in the launch of the ICCA Toolkit. Prior to the launch there was a panel presentation: Networking for the respectful and appropriate recognition of the Territories and Areas Conserved by Indigenous Peoples and Local Communities (ICCAs). View the presentation on the WIN website