2012 I-Tracker Forum
2012 NAILSMA I-Tracker Forum
The 2012 NAILSMA I-Tracker Forum was held at Mary River Park, Northern Territory from the 2nd to the 4th of October. It was attended by Traditional Owners, Indigenous ranger groups, government representatives and international guests.
The three days were broken up into activities including:
- international guest speakers;
- information sharing and feedback on improvements to I-Tracker;
- individual and group presentations;
- information sessions on a range of I-Tracker related topics;
- optional hands-on workshops; and
- entertainment - around the campfire fire; ranger group DVDs and videos; evening music jam sessions; identity bingo and haiku competition.
Individual and group presentations
Information about I-Tracker and other related topics:
- keynote presentations: CyberTracker
- international guest ranger group: Coastal Guardian Watchman Network Canada;
- Torres Strait Regional Authority: Zenadh Kes rangers
- National Cybertracker Network, Central Hub, Southern Hub and Southern Hub Tasmania;
- Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries; and
- North Australian Fire Information.
Building Collaborative Research – presentations of successful research initiatives:
- Yirralka Rangers – Feral buffalo management;
- Birdlife Australia – Shorebird monitoring in northern Australia;
- Freshwater health monitoring; and
- Turtle and dugong monitoring.
Practical information sharing and feedback
Indigenous land and sea managers from north Australia and other participants provided direction on components of the I-Tracker program including applications and other I-Tracker support and services. These sessions included:
- Saltwater Country Patrol Application;
- Land Patrol Application;
- Fire section of Land Patrol Application;
- I-Tracker Portal;
- I-Tracker Book; and
- Future Directions for I-Tracker.
- Most Significant Change
- NAILSMA website update
- Banksia Awards
- National Sea Country Planning
- Inaugural International Indigenous Land and Sea Managers Network
- Introduction to I-Tracker
- I-Tracker reporting templates
- Telling your story - tools and tips
- Preparing presentations and training sessions for ranger groups;
- Data integration using CyberTracker software;
- Coast Tracker Application; and
- Animal Tracking.
A 64 page report has been compiled to record activities, events, discussions and feedback from the Forum. Download the Forum report (PDF).
Forum Story Report
During the Forum some of the participants were interviewed and photographs were taken over the three days recording the events and atmosphere. These interviews and photos have now been combined into a Story Report. Please scroll through the clips and